Gold Fields’ South Deep mine located near Johannesburg in South Africa, employs approximately 4 500 employees and contractors, and has been built to extract one of the largest known gold deposits in the world.
South Deep wanted an integrated system for environment, health, and safety – a digital system that would be able to centralize all EHS information, and provide the company’s management and leadership team with the information which they needed to gain rapid insights into the mine’s health and safety information, as well as save time compiling the necessary reports.
The mine’s management sought a software company with established international operations, and after some consideration, implemented IsoMetrix’s Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) solutions.
Since implementation, South Deep has experienced various positive outcomes associated with the implementation of IsoMetrix’s EHS software such as:
- Achieving ISO 45001 certification in record time
- A systematic approach is now used to manage health and safety
- Employees more fully understand the risk and control measures associated with their work
- Contractors adhere to the same standards throughout
- Appropriate documentation is available which is current, organized, and relevant
- People better understand their roles, and the roles of others regarding health and safety
- Performance is both measurable and measured. There now exists the ability to check that controls are working and that standards are being implemented, and to learn from mistakes after things go wrong
For a more in-depth look at how the IsoMetrix software solutions implemented by Gold Fields’ South Deep mine improved their operations, download the full case study.