Companies within the renewable energy sector provide a variety of clean energy, including solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass.
It’s an exciting time for the renewable energy sector – transitioning away from fossil fuels and towards renewable and sustainable energy has become crucial in terms of preserving a habitable planet, and maintaining the quality of life which we currently enjoy.
Growing public awareness is also generating greater consumer demand for green energy sources, and government administrations are investing in renewable energy production.
Challenges for renewables companies
While the benefits of renewable energy inherently lean towards a more sustainable means of providing energy to the world, renewable energy companies face similar challenges as ‘traditional’ mining, oil, and gas operations in terms of health, safety, environment and social risk, and compliance management.
Some of the EHS, ESG, and compliance challenges facing renewables companies include:
Managing any environmental impacts from operations such as those associated with water, waste, noise, biodiversity, energy, and emissions
Complying with the necessary permits and licenses across multiple locations and jurisdictions
Protecting employee health and safety
Dealing with community and social concerns such as land access, local employment, and noise and pollution
Tracking and reporting on sustainability performance to a variety of investors, regulators, standards bodies, and stakeholders
The renewables project lifecycle
Managing renewable energy projects can be a sizeable and complex task, consisting of various interrelated phases which make up the lifecycle of the operation.
At each of these stages, renewable energy companies can benefit from one or many of our IsoMetrix software solutions.
During the development and pre-construction phase, our software will facilitate the following:
- Record details of all environmental impact assessments and baseline surveys
- Manage stakeholder engagements and track resettlement commitments
- Manage all permits required to initiate, construct, and operate your renewables facility
- Identify material ESG indicators
During construction of your renewables facility, our software will enable you to:
- Carry out regular audits and inspections, identify all safety hazards, and ensure that the inherent risks are mitigated
- Capture, track, and report on ESG indicators
- Record and investigate all incidents, injuries, near misses, and non-conformances
- Analyze trends so that effective preventive and corrective measures can be put in place
- Calculate and track greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and assess all environmental aspects and impacts
Once your renewables facility is operational, our software will assist you to:
- Manage all risks and critical controls via audits, inspections, and recurring assessments
- Manage the health and safety of your workforce
- Manage ESG indicators, and report against ESG standards
- Ensure strong implementation of continual improvement measures and achieve compliance with standards such as ISO 14001 and ISO 45001
- Monitor adherence to the commitments made in the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Social Impact Assessment (SIA), thereby ensuring your renewable facility’s license to operate
- Capture, track, and act on environmental monitoring data such as energy, water biodiversity, air quality, and noise levels
- Calculate your GHG emissions and set initiatives to reduce your footprint
Should you need to decommission and close your renewables facility, our software can help you to:
- Manage risk and obligations unique to closure, particularly safety and security obligations
- Manage rehabilitation and social responsibility undertakings against targets agreed with the government and local community
- Manage and monitor all environment, health, and safety risks
- Continue with ESG disclosures
- Continue to calculate and manage your GHG emissions and carbon footprint
Crucial solution modules
Our following software modules are important for managing the EHS and ESG performance of renewable energy companies.
Compliance with international EHS and sustainability standards
- ISO 14001: Environmental Management
- ISO 26000: Guidance on Social Responsibility
- ISO 31000: Risk Management
- ISO 45001: Occupational Health and Safety
- SASB’s Renewable Resources and Alternative Energy Standards
- The GRI Renewable Energy Sector Standards
The regulatory landscape for renewable energy projects continues to evolve in the United States in particular, with regulatory oversight being shared across multiple entities, including but not limited to, the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM), and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE).
Want to see if our EHS management software is for you?
Discover more about our powerful digital solutions.
IsoMetrix empowers Gold Fields’ South Deep mine to achieve ISO 45001 certification in record time
Implementing software from both customer and supplier perspectives
GISTM deadline looms for ICMM members with risky tailings storage facilities
A valued IsoMetrix renewable energy client
Avangrid Renewables is a leading renewable energy company focused on the development, construction, and operation of clean energy projects. With a diverse portfolio that includes wind, solar, and energy storage facilities, Avangrid Renewables plays a crucial role in the transition to a sustainable energy future. The company is committed to delivering renewable energy solutions while prioritizing environmental stewardship and community engagement.
A valued IsoMetrix renewable energy client
Sun Cable is an Australian-based company that aims to develop and implement a massive solar energy project in the Northern Territory. The project, known as the Australia-ASEAN Power Link, plans to generate solar power and transmit it via an undersea cable to supply electricity to both Australia and Southeast Asia. With its innovative approach, Sun Cable aims to contribute to renewable energy adoption, regional connectivity, and sustainable development in the Asia-Pacific region.