Occupational Health and Hygiene overview
Health at work
You need to meet your moral and legal obligations to ensure that:
- Hazards that pose a health risk to employees or people affected by your business activities are identified
- Risk reduction measures are implemented to create a safe working environment
- Where risk cannot be reduced sufficiently then risk control measures to protect the health and safety of employees are implemented
- Depending on the type and extent of the health hazard you will need to implement medical surveillance.
- You have a legal and moral duty to ensure that all people working on your premises have been certified 'fit to work' for the type of work they need to do.
Managing occupational health:
- Quantify the extent of the health hazard by doing occupational hygiene surveys according to legal, international standard or company requirements.
- Implement medical surveillance of those people at risk
- Keep record of medical surveillance in IsoMetrix
- Identify the parameters for logging an incident in IsoMetrix when medical surveillance shows a deterioration in a person's health status
- Adverse health effects occur when the health risk has not been properly identified, removed, reduced or controlled.
- Identify absenteeism related work hazard exposure
- Manage on a case by case basis adverse health effects caused by work exposure
Benefits of managing health and hygiene at work using IsoMetrix
- Retain skills in the workplace by keeping people well and at work.
- Reduce absenteeism related to work health risk exposure.
- Improve productivity by having healthy people who are fit to work.
- Establish an individual risk profile record for each person that links hazard exposure, hygiene monitoring data, medical surveillance results as evidence of meeting legal requirements.
- Reporting capability to provide evidence of a well-established and entrenched health and safety management system
- Enable trend analysis of health related issues to equip management with accurate and sufficient data to make good decisions when dealing with health issues.
- Enable management review of health and hygiene in the company.
IsoMetrix covers the entire spectrum of Safety, Health, Environmental, Quality and Business Risk Management. Functionality is included in IsoMetrix to cater for the specific requirements related to the understanding and managing of Occupational Health.
Typical Occupational Health and Hygiene Interface
Why use IsoMetrix to manage occupational health?
The first step in managing occupational health in IsoMetrix is to create risk based medical surveillance protocols to focus on real health risks linked to hygiene monitoring. The IsoMetrix consultant works with the company to
- Define Occupational Risk Exposure Profiles (OREPs) based on hygiene monitoring data
- Establish the required frequency of medical surveillance on a risk exposure basis
- Record the results of medical surveillance in a password protected environment
- Log incidents when medical examination results show deviation from the norm or significant change from previous result
- Proactively manage employees who show signs of work related adverse health effects
- Prevent deterioration of health status and compensation claims by proactively managing adverse health effects on a case by case basis
Once this is in place the Occupational Hygienist or Medical Practitioner can draw an individual risk profile for any employee that shows:
- What hazards the person has been exposed to
- The personal occupational hygiene monitoring that has been collected
- Incidents that have occurred in that work area or that involved that individual
- Results of medical surveillance for the duration of employment
Other features offered as part of the IsoMetrix.net SHERQ solution are:
- Manage compensation claims by tracking:
- Capture the date of diagnosis of compensable condition
- IsoMetrix.net will assist the user to follow the correct process to ensure claims are managed according to company procedure.
- Monitor and manage sick leave absenteeism
- IsoMetrix.net can be configured to notify a Supervisor when a person has been booked off ill.
- Also use the tool to analyse absenteeism patterns to identify work related adverse health effects caused by hazards that have not been adequately identified and controlled.
Why use IsoMetrix.net to manage occupational hygiene?
IsoMetrix.net allows companies to create a system for recording both location and personal monitoring linked to defined work sections and activities by:
- Creating monitoring categories and parameters
- Linking to legislation or required standards as norm reference
- Scheduling hygiene monitoring to meet standards and business preferences
- Define HEGs (Homogenous Exposure Groups) i.e. people exposed to the same degree of hazard and groups of hazards
Hygiene monitoring data can be used to link individuals to a HEG (Homogenous Exposure Group) and then to the medical surveillance thus creating individual risk profiles.