From 22 to 24 February, IsoMetrix will be attending the 8th Annual Women in Mining Conference, hosted by Intelligence Transfer Centre (ITC) at Gallagher Estate, Midrand.
“The empowerment of women is critical to help the mining industry deliver on its transformation objectives,” Chamber of Mines president Mike Teke is quoted as saying in Mining Review Africa, 15 September 2016.
The Women in Mining conference promotes the representation of women in the mining sector, which has improved significantly from around 11 400 in 2002 to around 53 000 in 2015, although this still only represents 10% of the mining industry.
Cecilia Jofré, Sales Director at IsoMetrix says, “Equal representation of women is important in any growing economy. This is particularly true in mining, which is traditionally a male-dominated industry. Promoting gender equality is important for human rights, as well as a recognizing the vital contribution that women make to economic development.”
The conference features keynote addresses from trailblazing women in the mining industry, including Cynthia Carroll, the Chairperson of Vendanta Resources Holding, Wendy Treasure, Director of Academia and Research at International Women in Mining (IWN) and Dr Gargi Mishra, Founder of Mining Innovation.
Some of the topics that will be covered at the conference include:
- Using the Mining Charter as a tool to progress women in mining as well as disadvantaged individuals
- Advancing the mining industry by investing in the research, development, and training of women
- Understanding the current state of the mining industry in order to make a positive contribution
- Becoming an SMME supplier by looking at current opportunities
- Empowering women in mining to lead in a man’s world
- Encouraging women to report sexual violence with accuracy and in turn provide a supportive environment
- Discussing women’s physical abilities and overcoming common challenges
- Evaluating your Social Labour Plans and needs analysis of the community
Follow @IsoMetrixGRC on Twitter for live updates from the 8th Annual Women in Mining Conference.
Get a 20% discount when you register for this event. Email Zakhele Mntambo at email@example.com and use the reference code: ISOWIM17
For media enquiries or to set up an interview please contact Beatrix Knopjes on firstname.lastname@example.org